Sunday, November 2, 2008

Celebration in Saudi Arabia



I am jealous from the American people because they have eleven federal holidays and many other unofficial celebrations. Some of these celebrations it does not make sense for me especially Halloween. Some people believe that dead people can return back in the body of animals in this specific day October 31. Although I have desire to see my dead father for five minutes, it is impossible. I respect what the American people believe and why they do this celebration. I really like strange costume cloths and eating delicious candies. For example, the taste of candy corn remembers me with traditional candy in my country. In the U.S., people respect their dead people by this celebration. In my country, we have two official religious celebrations. “Eid Alfitr” is the first celebration for all Muslims. It become after Ramadan, which is month that all Muslims are fasting. We celebrate for three days in this Eid and it is called “small Eid”. People visit their family and friends, so they have a lot of fun and play with the firework. Also, they serve a lot of food and candies from the morning until mid-night. The second celebrate is the biggest celebration for all Muslims that called “Eid Aladha”. We celebrate for four days that become when proximately million of Muslims visit a religious place in my country called “Makkah”. Men, women, and children dress nice cloths and go to mosque to do Eid prayer. Then, people sacrifice an animal such as sheep, goats, cows, and camels. People divide meat to three parts. They give poor people, relatives, and part for their home. In the night, we make a big grill party and celebrate with family and friends. In our city, we have unofficial celebration that we called “Gargian”. This celebration usually occurs before two days of Eid Alfitr. It is just for the children. They wear tradition cloths and have saying nice anthem. They hang out in the neighbors looking for candies and gifts. I hope you enjoy have a brief information about celebration in our country.

1 comment:

Anna said...

So...where did you hear that we think the spirits of the dead come back to visit us in animal bodies? I don't think I've ever heard that in my life. Though, I don't celebrate Halloween so it doesn't really matter to me.

Also, that little girl is adorable!!!